Gas Department

The Lawrenceburg Utility Systems Gas Department provides natural gas to Lawrenceburg and certain surrounding areas. LUS maintains 320 miles of distribution lines and serves 6,405 customers in Lawrence County. Providing SAFE natural gas is one of the main goals of Lawrenceburg Utility Systems.

Natural gas is used by both residential and industrial customers as a clean and reliable source of energy. Natural gas makes our lives more comfortable and efficient, and is environmentally friendly. We use natural gas to heat our homes, produce hot water, cook our meals, and dry our clothes.

Natural Gas Safety

Maintain gas lines inside the house to prevent leaks. Do not hang things from exposed piping or use it as a support for something else. All piping after the meter is the responsibility of the property owner. LUS will periodically survey all piping leading up to your gas meter for leaks.

Every family member should know how to find and turn off the natural gas shut-off valve at the meter. The valve should be closed only in the event of a natural gas emergency in your home or if advised to do so by LUS. If you turn off the shut-off valve, do not turn it on again. Call LUS at (931) 762-7161 and let us safely re-establish your gas service for you at no charge.

Call Before You Dig

Before you dig, calling 811 is the most important step! Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means calling 811 before each job. Planning a home improvement job? Planting a tree? Installing a fence or deck? For every project, every time, call 811. Digging without knowing the approximate location of underground utilities can result in damage to gas, electric, communications, water and sewer lines, which can lead to service disruptions, serious injuries and costly repairs. Call 811 at least a few days before you start any digging project. Visit call811.com for more information.

Detecting a Leak

The following signs may help you detect a leak inside your home:

You may smell a gaseous or hydrocarbon odor similar to sulfur or rotten eggs A faint odor of natural gas may mean that a pilot light has gone out on an appliance and should be re-lit or that there is some other leak or problem present. Open doors and windows for ventilation. Do not try to re-light a gas furnace, water heater or range until you are sure there is no natural gas left inside the house.

You or someone in the home may experience dizziness, headache, nausea, fatigue, or flu-like symptoms. This could be a sign that a natural gas leak or release of carbon monoxide has occurred, which may be the result of an improperly adjusted natural gas appliance inside your home or workplace.

If you suspect a natural gas leak, DO NOT use a telephone or flashlight, switch a light on or off, light a match, or create any other ignition source. Leaking natural gas can ignite, so you should immediately leave the house and go to a safe area where there is no indication of a natural gas leak. Call LUS at (931) 762-7161. Make sure you prevent anyone else from entering the home.

If you ever have a question about a natural gas leak, call LUS at (931) 762-7161.